Monday, October 5, 2009

Computer Vacation

I spilled a little bit of water in my computer yesterday. This happened to me with my old computer about three years ago, but that time I spilled an entire 16 oz. glass of water into my computer. Amazingly, my computer 48 hours later turned back on. I learned a lot through that experience. For example, if you're going to spill anything into your computer, have it be water because everything else will fry your system. Right when you spill something into your computer, turn it off and unplug it. If it is totally soaked take out all batteries and any little pieces so they can't get wet and dry the computer as best you can (even with a blow dryer). Don't turn the computer back on for 24-48 to allow time for all the water to dry.

So yesterday when I spilled a little bit of water into my computer, I first freaked, and then followed those directions I remembered and thus was without a computer for the rest of yesterday and most of today. As you can see, my computer turned back on (I had faith that it would, but nevertheless I am now updating my external hard drive, which I bought the last time this happened, because really everyone should always have a back up). I have to say though, 24 hours without my computer was blissful. It didn't matter what mail I got, or who was online, or what information I could look up. I have three books I have been trying to read with a lot of distractions and anyone who wanted to truly get in touch with me knows my phone number.

I think taking a break from the internet and all this technology can be a good thing. I always have a long list of things I want to accomplish in a day and the one thing that always gets in my way is the computer. I find I could spend hourssss on the computer and then any time to read the books I want to, or even just to take a walk outside and catch some sun shine, or be creative and go on an adventure well the time slips away from me with the abundant amount of information at my finger tips right here on this computer.

So perhaps I'll learn from this experience: if I ever truly want to get anything done I need to turn off my computer. What gets in your way of finishing your long list of tasks?

No comments:

Post a Comment