Friday, October 30, 2009

Two roads diverged in the woods...and I took the wrong one

I had myself a little adventure yesterday. I find myself getting out more and wanting to get more involved in life again...after months and months of not feeling like myself, I actually had a smile on my face for most of the day today (although that could have also been because I took two yoga classes back to back). Anyways, yesterday afternoon I was feeling particularly anxious and thus I decided to head into the woods: the only place I really have found calms my nerves, my brain, my breathe. I decided to walk in the Audubon Center, which my mom and I have done a million times. It was a beautiful fall day and I took my camera and had some fun with creative shots of nature and the little things we miss because we are always in a rush; like the way the sun hits some leaves and brings out all the vibrant color of a leaf changing its color.

There were a lot of leaves on the ground and I noticed how loud my walking was. Even when I tried to step lighter I felt extremely loud in the quiet nature of the Audubon. Truth be told, it wasn't all that quiet with birds chirping and insects making their own unique noise and because of all the leaves I could hear every squirrel jumping around (I even got to take a picture of the cutest chipmunk). I somehow made my way through the trail by myself and ventured on other trails that I had never been on before with my mother. It was a lot of fun exploring and gaining the confidence to take an adventure by myself.

I had all these landmarks in my head that I knew I was on the right path, but somewhere along the way I got lost. Now the Audubon Center is not that big. Sure there are a couple of trails but it is all basically a big circle, thus I kept thinking, eh I'll circle around and pop myself out at the end eventually." So an hour and a half later, bladder full and feeling a little hungry, I started to get a little anxious after I had past that tree for maybe the third time. It is funny how nature can turn from something so calming to extremely claustrophobic. I had to get out. I whipped out my cell phone and used my GPS so pop me back out on a road on the complete opposite side of the Audubon (although I didn't know it was the opposite side at the time). I started to walk thinking oooo the car can't be thatttt far away.

Seeing cars and saying hello to people on the street was comforting, but after another half an hour (my stomach now bursting because I had to pee so bad) I felt helpless to the fact that I was lost. Like a 5 year old who needs her blanket, I called my mom hahaha. Stating as she answered the phone, "who the hell gets lost in the Audubon Center???" She laughed hysterically and hopped in the car to come and find me. I kept walking while waiting and came across a church. It felt odd walking into a random church that was clearly empty but I was ready to knock on someone's door I had to pee so bad. The first time my nose actually knew the direction exactly to the bathroom...I guess my bladder has better navigational skills; and this pee was the type of pee you moan and smile afterward because it felt that good.

After around two and a half hours after leaving my house thinking,"O I'll just go for a half an hour walk," my mom found me leaning up against a mailbox hysterically laughing over how this could only happen to me. The funny thing is that I wasn't even upset, it is the best day I had in awhile and I had a smile plastered on my face for the rest of the day. Moral of the story is: Get out of the house, get lost, experience life with all its unexpected turns, and remember to laugh at how nothing seems to go the way we think it is going to, but sometimes what does happen is better.

P.S- my car was about a ten minute drive away...it probably would have taken me the rest of the day and into the evening to walk to it :)

1 comment:

  1. Thank u very sharing.It make me fill better about life.And helped me know I just like us all r human!

    ReplyDelete