Monday, January 4, 2010

Give and then give some more

I talk a lot about how important self care is and how one needs to take care of themselves before they can take care of anyone else.  On the flip side, giving not only raises spirits and extends one's life time, but also makes both parties (the giver and the receiver) feel good.  With all the things we have going on in today's society, sometimes it is hard to take our minds out of our melodramas and extend ourselves to someone else's melodrama hah.  I gave the last year and a half of my life to AmeriCorps and worked at a Drop-in center for at risk and homeless youth.  It is interesting how this job both drained me and exhilarated me.  I came home at the end of the day exhausted, not able to think or do anything productive, but after a good nights rest I couldn't wait to get back to work.  When we give our all, we can sometimes drain our spirit (I might have worked a bit too much to be honest), but the outcome and the impact we make on this world for others makes it all worth it.  Think about it: doctors work around the clock to take care of everyone else and have to schedule time for their own self care.

Here is a story I found that really inspired me today and I hope it does the same for you:

Giving When it Counts.

Many years ago, when I worked as a volunteer at a hospital, I got to know a little girl named Elizabeth who was suffering from a rare and serious disease. Her only chance of recovery appeared to be a blood transfusion from her 5-year old brother, who had miraculously survived the same disease and had developed the antibodies needed to combat the illness. The doctor explained the situation to her little brother, and asked the little boy if he would be willing to give his blood to his sister. I saw him hesitate for only a moment before taking a deep breath and saying, "Yes I'll do it if it will save her." As the transfusion progressed, he lay in bed next to his sister and smiled, as we all did, seeing the color returning to her cheek. Then his face grew pale and his smile faded. He looked up at the doctor and asked with a trembling voice, "Will I die quickly?" The little boy had thought that the doctor meant he had to give his life to save his sister.


When was the last time you gave, with no strings attached and no expectation of getting anything in return?  Try and engage in one selfless act today and see how it makes you feel.

1 comment:

  1. Is it really selfless if you're doing something to improve the way you feel about yourself?

    ReplyDelete