Thursday, January 14, 2010

Self Sabotage

Do you ever find life going along smoothly, that there is nothing truly to complain about, and then fear hits.  When will this period end?  How long can I hold on to the goodness that is happening?  We are all aware of the ups and downs of life and the cycles we inevitably go through, but instead of flowing with life we fight against the eventual rough spots.  I even find myself self sabotaging myself, making things harder than they need to be just so I can feel more in control of when the rough spots are going to hit (holding my breathe is also a good one for me).  Quite absurd to even write out that I engage in those actions.

The more we can let go of control and the more we can embrace the difficulties of life then we can stay open to whatever happens and still feel happy no matter what.  In my theatre days, I did quite a bit of stage managing and I always described the role of the stage manager as the eye of the storm; that while everything is crazy around you (lights, scenery, stressed out actors), you continue to stay calm knowing that eventually all will go smoothly and exactly the way it is supposed to.  As they say that theatre mirrors life, the same principle can be implied.  No matter what happens, the end of the storm will eventually come and everything that occurred truly went exactly the way it was supposed to (even if it wasn't the outcome we wanted).

When faced with turbulent times, instead of feeling overwhelmed, scared, fearful, angry...etc, etc, etc... try next time to sit back and see what this situation is trying to teach you.  We are all growing and continuously learning and each situation is here to teach us something that we need to learn to be a wiser individual.  Now I know this is easier said than done...but even bringing awareness and mindfulness every day and asking during even miniature upsets will this matter in five years?  We can constantly bring things into perspective.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post. Word's most def. worth taking some time to think about. Idea's that many of us could and probably should apply to our lives.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete