Friday, January 15, 2010

The rabbit may be impressive but the turtle wins the race

There comes a time when you realize you need to let go, to slow down, to take some time for yourself.  I've had this voice in the back of my head for about a week now telling me to hit the pause button.  Ever since I got re-accepted to graduate school I have been pushing myself to keep the good luck flow going, but it is not something that is under my control.  Actually nothing is really in our control except our own perceptions.  How long does it take you to actually listen to your inner guide for what it needs for health and well being?  For me it used to be months of not listening until my body would get sick and tired and I'd be forced to slow down.  Now, my attention span to myself has gotten considerably shorter and I pay attention faster. 

Sickness, fatigue, intense emotions, tension these are all ways that our bodies are trying to tell us that something is not right.  Yet in today's society of hustle and bustle, we rarely take time to listen.  And, when we do listen we still don't stop and take action to fix the problems we slowly see arising because of our social responsibilities.  Think about how much healthier our society would be if we all took the time to take care of ourselves?  (although to note there needs to be a balance between self care and caring for others.  Too much of anything can be detrimental).  Lately, I feel as though I have been hearing so many complaints from friends, family, acquaintances about all the bodily ailments they are feeling.  These are messages from our complex system. 

We all want answers and we want them now.  This is what media and internet has done to us.  Everything and every answer is immediately at our finger tips.  But the only answers that can be valid for your unique self are the answers that come from within.  If your body is feeling achy, perhaps it is time to rest instead of your mind pushing you to the gym.  If you're over eating, maybe it is time to look at the emotions that you are trying to stuff away.  If you keep waking up in the middle of the night, would it be beneficial to take a day for yourself and write out a list of all the things you need to get done to get a better nights rest?  These questions only take a minute to ask yourself, but the benefits that will come will last you much longer.  Probe into your inner world, let yourself be the slow turtle in our rabbit like world, and take care of yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment