Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Everything happens for a reason

A thought popped in my head today...what if I made a horrible mistake deferring my acceptance to graduate school. It took me most of the day to figure out what a silly and pointless thought this was. First of all, whats done is done and second of all (another cliche) whats meant to be will be. There is some reason why I am not supposed to be at school yet, actually a million reasons. It occurred to me today that instead of over-analyzing the decisions that have already occurred I need to start going out and living my life and going on all these adventures I have in my head.

I am beginning to help at the front desk of my favorite yoga studio and hopefully this will put me back on some sort of path. What I am trying to remember is that I took this year off for a reason and that is to remind myself that life is meant to be lived with a positive out look and to laugh at our predispositions, laugh at our problems, laugh at what we deem so damn important, even laugh just to laugh.

Has anyone tried laughter yoga? It is the most absurd thing I have ever done. I did it last year at an AmeriCorps conference ( I did AmeriCorps last year where I was the food coordinator at a Drop-in center for at-risk and homeless youth). We were outside and it was a gorgeous sunny day and here was this laughter yoga instructor just laughing for no particular reason and getting a group of AmeriCorps to join in and just go "ho ho ho, ha ha ha, he he he." You can't help but laugh because you feel ridiculous, but then you look over at someone next to you and they look even more absurd so then you laugh harder. Laughter truly is the best medicine. I find myself laughing for no particular reason or when things aren't even funny...one of the volunteers last year called me giggles because I just loved to smile. There is something sacred about a smile and how it can cheer your day up and everyone around you as well. So go deep within yourself and find some inner light and smile from it and let it radiate out of your being and then share that feeling and your smile with someone else....I'm going to work harder on remembering to do this myself.

1 comment:

  1. I've read and heard about laughter Yoga. It is not as popular in the US but very much so in other parts of the world. Thanks for sharing this experience with us. Great post.

    @GotPassport

    ReplyDelete