Saturday, August 29, 2009

To thine own self be true

To thine own self be true.

It is something I have tried to follow my entire life, but it is much harder to do when you want to fit in so badly with your surroundings that you become a chameleon. I have met a lot of people who unconsciously and consciously do this as well throughout the past couple of years. So what really is the self? How do we know when we are being authentic? Is it a gut feeling or the people we are around that make us smile or is the self just a conception of our own mind?

I have no answers...sorry...only questions. I suppose I believe the self is a matter of our perception and if we are content/satisfied with the way things are and the actions we are making then the self we are being at that time could be a person we are comfortable with.

I look around and see all the beautiful qualities in everyone around me and want to take snippets of every little person. That person's intelligence, and that person's comedic timing, and that person's calm presence. It is hard to focus on what you do have and all the wonderful qualities you possess when we are constantly comparing ourselves to other people. So for today I am going to list all the positive qualities about myself and embrace what I do have that resembles some what of a unique person and a consistent self with which I have to work with.

I suggest you make a list yourself as well. It hardly takes any time; just pull out a piece of paper, a sticky note, the back of a newspaper and a pen and write down 10 things about yourself that you possess that make you really happy that you are you. And please share! What makes you unique? For example I am really happy I can do a complete split and bring my head down to my knee while in the split haha.

2 comments:

  1. I always believed that self honesty may be the toughest honesty of all; recognizing both your good points and your bad points and acknowledging them.

    For me, my decision criteria simply is: "Can I look in the mirror at myself if I choose this?" Simplifies a lot of things for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To thine ownself be true is from Polonius's speech. The speech was supposed to represent a pretentious, gasbag's thoughts. I am not sure that choosing this as a motto is wise. Many do, however.

    ReplyDelete