Thursday, August 20, 2009

Finger food

I love eating with my fingers. It is one of my favorite things to do in fact. Has anyone been to the medieval fairs that are around the country? You get to watch a jousting tournament and they serve you all your food during the show without any silverware, thus you have to eat chicken with your fingers and slurp your soup. I mean when you think about it we didn't have silverware back in the day and why is it considered so rude to eat with our fingers?

I was out to dinner with my father, his wife, and his wife's mom and her 2nd husband (ya know the normal American family, of course). I was eating my salad with my fingers and my dad's wife's husband watches me do this and then when the main meal came, he looks at me and says, "Is something wrong with your fork?" I laughed and said no...and he replied, "Are you going to eat your fish with your fingers too?" I replied that I was going to use my fork to eat my fish, but I got this overwhelming feeling that by eating my salad with my fingers I had insulted him, which wasn't my intention at all. I just truly enjoy eating with my fingers because it slows me down and I pick up each piece of food slowly and I am able to savor each bite more.

So I compel all of you...for a meal...take away all the silverware and be a kid...play with your food.

No comments:

Post a Comment