Thursday, August 13, 2009

Think before you act

The saying "think before you act" has never been something I have been able to follow easily. I usually act and then deal with the consequences....I have gotten myself into many interesting situations because of this. Thus here I am dealing with the consequences of thinking I wanted to do one thing and then deciding that maybe I didn't. I'm proud of the decision I made, although it was bold and kind of very last minute, but it was the first time I actually thought through something...the problem this time was I didn't take the appropriate action sooner.

I was talking with my mother this afternoon about finding one's life's purpose and I am slowly learning from all the conversations that I have had with people is that it is very rare for a person to figure out what they really want to do with their life. Most of the time people are just finding something that peaks their interest or settling for a job that will suffice and pay the bills. Am I just a young idealist that thinks they're going to be one of the lucky one's that gets to find their passion, pursue it, and live happily ever after? OK, maybe I'm living in a dream world but I have always been one to strive for "the happy ending." I swear Disney movies have ruined my brain. I mean first of all who is actually as thin as any of those cartoon characters....Ariel, Jasmine, even Pocahontas was pushing it. And then the burly supposedly perfect men that come and save the day...even the Beast turned out to be a handsome prince.

I know that all these stories had a moral to be taught but when you're like five years old watching these movies and no one is explaining to you that you can't take these story lines seriously, a little kid is left thinking every story has a happy ending. I wish someone had told me early on that life was hard and you have to do whatever you can to put a smile on your face every day and, as they say, "roll with the punches." Of course would that have made me a jaded adult? Alas, I digress. I suppose I'd like to ask to all of you (if anyone is reading this) how you came upon your careers at the current moment and is it really what you want to be doing? I suppose I'll only learn by other people's examples. So please talk to me....

3 comments:

  1. Well TeppyTea, I can certainly understand you. Here's the reader's digest version of how I arrived at where I am today: After college had a desire to be world traveler, so I became a flight attendant for 5 years and saw the world. Got bored with living out of a suitcase and eating airplane food. Then wanted to be a professional career woman with a briefcase, so I got into B2B sales. Had a lot of success, but inevitably got bored with that. Then I wanted to be an internet entrepreneur. So I launched an internet gift basket company selling corporate gifts baskets in Silicon Valley. Sold that biz in the late 90's. Then wanted to move out of the urban jungle and into the country. Bought 28 acres, built a straw bale home, lived off the grid. Got tired of being isolated, and wanted to connect with my community, so I became a Realtor and charity fundraiser. Became top producer and raised $350,000 for a non-profit. Then had an opportunity to join my spouse to launch a software company and today I am Power User of Social Media, blogger, business strategist and co-owner of a software company. Looking back, I guess I just always did what felt good in my soul. I don't wake up to an alarm clock. I hike on my property every morning with my Yellow Lab, Sunnny, practice Yoga in my studio 4-5 times a week to Shiva Rhea Dvds. Feel grateful for my life. Love what I do and I am okay with not knowing how long I will be doing this, but when the day comes when its no longer resonating with me deep in my soul, then that's my cue to move on. Life is an ADVENTURE. I'd rather buy an experience than an object.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I came upon my current career: at 13 I knew I wanted to leave home as soon as I could get a job, so I wanted to take a 4-year business course. Almost left earlier, but stuck it out and graduated with honours. Joined Jr. Achievement for half a year during high school. Suddenly decided at the end of my 4 years that I might like to take electronics, so went to college for 3 weeks. Realized how hard that would be to learn all new kind of math. Dropped out, picked up a reception job, then a switchboard job, then married had 4 kids (first-born, son, died running across the street, hit by car, almost 10 years old), then left after 16 years of marriage, took upgrading, worked 3 short-term jobs in offices & call centres, then worked as a Program Assistant (clerical) for 11 years, then sold my condo (which I bought myself, and never received a dime from the x) and moved across the country (with permission, and the 2 teen girls, leaving our older son out west) back to my home-town. None of my close relatives live here anymore. Worked temping in clerical for almost a year, collected EI for almost half a year, then welfare for a couple of months and now hit full-circle (from Jr. Acheivement) to start an online home-based business and here I am. Using all my experiences (stories) to be able to deal successfully with people and have a heart to help those who have had a measure of success and know exactly what they want to do. Mostly Boomers like me have a wealth of skills but just need help to transfer their hard skills online, plug into systems, learn some social media skills.

    You could help people that you're just a little ahead of ;)

    Found your link through one of your brother's tweets.

    Now that you've seen a whole entire life almost, you can see a bit bigger picture.

    btw I did not "boomerang" back home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can take it a step further. Think before you think! Meaning when a thought comes that would normally cause an action or reaction, instead of thinking it through right away, give yourself a few minutes, many times the clarity will come without even having to go through the hassle of analyzing the situation.

    ReplyDelete