Tuesday, August 18, 2009

K.I.T-keep in touch

How much energy are we supposed to put in to keeping in touch with people? I have to say personally, I put in a lot. To me it is very important to keep in contact with my friends and even acquaintances because I truly believe they have all come into my life at one point or another for a reason and that I was meant to know them. I never miss a birthday (I think they are the biggest national holiday for each individual person and I try to make it a huge deal for every person I know).

The thing is I find that others don't see the way I do. Everyone gets very caught up with their life and the people they have immediate contact with (and I am not speaking all high and mighty, I definitely succumb to getting caught up in my own immediate life as well), but I get frustrated with how much time and effort I spend keeping in touch with others and then I wonder if I stopped trying to talk to these people....would they stop contacting me?

I know that its not that people don't care. I believe that we all care about one another, I truly believe that, but I worry that people forget about me when I'm away, that my tiny existence is insignificant to people whom I am not right in front of. This is something I've worried about for a long time, although not something I was aware of until I started dating. And in this day and age we can be in constant contact with everyone, thanks to technology. Of course, has that made us paranoid about who our true friends really are because we know they can call us or text us or e-mail us at any time and when they don't...well then what? They are not really friends?

Back in the old days, without all this technology, everyone wrote letters, heart felt, sincere, took time out of their day, letters. Sometimes I wish we could go back to that, so there was less pressure and more thought taken when keeping in touch with others...I guess I would just need to start asking for everyone's address...

1 comment:

  1. I'd write letters, but I can type much faster than I can write and another bonus- one can actually read what I have typed as opposed to what I've penned. ha ha

    To me, sending an email is like sending a letter, except it's immediate and legible! The same amount of thought and feeling goes into it, for me at least.

    My main means of keeping in touch is with Facebook. I never thought I'd utilize it so much, but I've reconnected with people I haven't seen for years.

    On a side note, you need to put up a link so we can subscribe to your blog and get an email when a new blog is posted. I REALLY enjoy reading your thoughts and can't believe you are so wise beyond your years! When I first started following you on Twitter, I thought you were about my age, 40ish. ;O)

    P.S.
    My address is...

    ReplyDelete