Sunday, August 16, 2009

Making lists

I'm completely aware that I am lacking in things to do these days (and lacking on what to write about although my brain is usually thinking something 24/7) even with the abundant amount of hobbies that I have. I'm aware that I could join a hiking club or a reading group or find some where I could rock climb or join a baking class...yet here I sit in my house agonizing over what to do with my life and applying for jobs online (a plus of technology). I know the best thing for me to do is to sit down and make a list of the steps I need to take to kind of get my life back on track here (whatever track that may be hah). Making lists is one of my favorite things to do. Someone once asked me if I wanted a palm pilot so I could be more organized and I said, "What!? And take away the pleasure of crossing things out with a pen...I don't think so."

I started to make a mental list yesterday and found myself at Borders looking at GRE preparation books. The GRE's are bogus. Why this silly little test has been created I have no idea. (well actually I do now because one of the books I skimmed over told me) but still I believe that the GRE's don't measure anything of a person's talents or wisdom or smarts or the predictability of how a person will do in Graduate school. I did horrible (and I mean horrible) on the SAT's and I made cum laude in Undergraduate so HAH dumb standardized testing.

Alright the truth is, I'm nervous to take them because I do soooooo poorly on standardized tests and I wish I could find more schools that didn't care about them but all the programs that actually pique my interest want the stupid GRE scores. And from all the people I have talked to, its the little things like these that hold people back from actually aspiring to do what they want to do. It is our little fears and worries that stop us dead and our track and instead of putting up our fists and fighting the thoughts away we succumb to the worry and reply with, "yes you're right, I'm not capable of doing this." Why is it so much easier to listen to the voice of doubt than to say to ourselves these are just thoughts and I can do anything I put my mind to. Maybe that is where that saying came from....if we put our minds to something we are in control of our own thoughts and it becomes self fulfilling prophecy because we are thinking positive thoughts in our heads. Kind of like the little engine that could..."I think I can, I think I can, I think I can."

If we believe in ourselves and put positive energy out into the world then of course it is going to come back to us in a positive way. Its like wearing rosy colored glasses, everything can be skewed in the way that you want it to be because that is the way you're brain is thinking. Ahhhhh....the power of perspective.

2 comments:

  1. Will hold some of those positive thoughts for the job search, and agree that standardized tests are a poor way to measure a person's complete breadth of knowledge. However, not all grad schools use the GRE scores as the single criterion for acceptance. And you've already found the tutorial book. We used one of those in high school in my English class, and I believe it did help because it helped me feel comfortable with the test itself.

    People make fun of the idea that how you think has influence on how your life goes, but I can speak from personal experience that it's so. Whether you choose to ascribe it to magic or simply that believing you can gives you the foundation to try is irrelevant. If you try, the belief that you can succeed will hold you up when the inevitable potholes appear in that road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing the same thing it seems these days (hmmm 1.5 yrs here). Job hunting or trying to figure out how to turn a book hobby into FT income. Needing to simplify and figure things out in life. Going back to school in Oct to finish my last year and get my BS in business management so I can get the "hell out" and "live" a life I want. LOL

    Stay positive!

    ReplyDelete