Friday, August 14, 2009

Spectacular Spectacular....Technology

So that last post was just too sad to end on for the day so one more for an upbeat finish (because I'm all about the "happy endings"). After finishing that post and crying a few tears I picked myself back up and began trying to find some friends to talk to so I could occupy my mind in different ways. I found myself talking to a very good friend who recently got a blackberry (or as I like to call it crackberry because every person I know who has one is addicted). I had been talking to my friend for almost an hour until he told me that he was out getting a rental car for his big move. I found this incredibly amusing that we can now be out and about renting cars or where ever we might be (even peeing in the bathroom) and still have constant contact with everyone out there.

Now I have to ask is this a good thing or a bad thing? Sure it is a good thing we can be in contact with anyone in an instant if there is an emergency but most of the time there is no immediate reason we need to talk to someone right away. And then we get into the whole complicatedness (yes I made up this word) of worrying when someone doesn't call or even worse text us back right away because we know they can. We sit there asking ourselves, "what it only takes a minute to text me back why aren't they doing it?" How absurd our lives have become due to the fact that now with our phones, internet, and crackberries we can have someone by our sides to talk to at all times.

Are we that scared of being alone? Companionship is huge for well being, but I think also being comfortable with oneself and remembering to stay happy even if you have no one else around is crucial to being happy no matter what the circumstances are. I know I'm only 23 and I sound like I'm in my 50's but I challenge all of you who are reading this....turn off your cell phones, your computers, your telephones...unplug....and then sit in silence, read a book, watch a movie, take a bath and see how wonderful being completely in the moment and only worrying about what is going on right here and right now can be. Its truly liberating.

1 comment:

  1. I never assume someone has their phone tied to their hip. Anyone that does assume that is the one with the issue. It isn't the technology it is the user that has the problem in that case.

    At work my cell phone stays on silent, I don't check personal email all the time. If someone texts me they may or may not get a reponse back. If I don't feel like answering the phone, I don't, if it's important they will leave a message.

    I can keep technology on and still choose not to use it. For those who can't, I agree you may want to consider forcing yourself to disconnect until you can get to a point where you don't have to be tied to those things even while they are on.

    Those who feel cut off because they don't get a response back from someone they reached out to as quickly as they'd like, chill out. I'm sure the person will get back to you when THEY are good and ready.

    ReplyDelete